Below are some of my favorite appetizers. Please click on the recipe you want to view and print.
Hummus Deviled Eggs
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup Hummus Store bought or homemade.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon prepared not creamy horseradish
Put eggs in a medium pot and cover water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, remove pot from heat, and let set for 14 minutes. Fill a large bowl with ice water. With a slotted spoon, transfer eggs ti ice water bath (reserve hot water in pot.)
Cool eggs for a least 10 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to transfer eggs back to hot water (to loosen shells) for 10 - 20 seconds. Pat dry and peel.
Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Scoop out egg yolks and put them in a medium bowl. And hummus, olive oil, pepper, salt and horseradish. Mash mixture together with a fork until you reach a desired consistency. Spoon filling into egg white halves. Sprinkle with black pepper.
Per half egg - Calories: 72 Calories from fat: 71% Protein 3.6% Fat: 1.2g Carbohydrate: 1.4g Fiber: 0.2g Sodium: 118g Cholesterol: 106 mg
Black Bean Mango Salsa
- 1 ½ cup black beans cooked or canned and rinsed
- 1 mango chopped
- ½ red onion chopped
- 1 avocado chopped
- ¼ bunch cilantro chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil option - evoo
- 1/8 teaspoon salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
Put all ingredients in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Lightly toss and serve.
Variation: Add 1 teaspoon fresh ginger.
Rachel’s Blissfully Delicious Wrap (turkey and ham)
- 3 slices Land O’ Frost Premium Black Forest Ham
- 8 fresh spinach leaves
- 1 slice of cooked bacon crumbled if you want
- 3 slices Land O’ Frost Premium Smoked Turkey Breast
- 6 thin red bell pepper strips
- 2 thin cucumber slices peeled, cut in half and sliced length-wise, so the pieces are flat and long
- 1 12 in whole wheat or spinach herb wrap
Drizzle of chipotle mayo, basil and red pepper mayo, or garlic aioli
- 1/2 cup minced shallots (about 3)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 4 oz. feta cheese
- 4 oz. fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 sheets frozen phyllo dough (thawed overnight in refrigerator)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Saute shallots in the olive oil. Set aside and cool.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cooled shallots, spinach, feta cheese, cottage cheese, and parsley.
Mix in eggs.
Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Place 1 sheet of phyllo on parchment paper.
Spray the leaf (phyllo sheet) with butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray and cover with a second phyllo leaf.
Continue until 6 phyllo leafs are stacked together.
Place spinach mixture along one long side of phyllo leaf (strudel).
Using the parchment as a support, roll strudel into a long cylinder, but don’t roll it up with the parchment paper.
Place strudel and parchment on a baking sheet with the seam on the bottom.
Bake 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.