Yes, children are back in school and it’s time to think about ways to insure our children – and ourselves – are making wise choices for lunch.
Consider these tips:
- Eat breakfast.
- Include a protein and carb — vegetable or fruit or grain.
- Unhealthy choices lead to getting hungry during class and the inability to concentrate and focus.
- Pack a lunch that contains a mixture of protein, carbs and fats. This will satisfy any immediate urge for food and keep hunger at bay longer.
- Ask your child what other students are eating. Then, ask the parent for a recipe or where they purchased the food.
- Visit the grocery store for healthy snack and lunch ideas. Stay around the perimeter of the store. That’s where the ‘good stuff’ is.
- Drink 1/2 your weight in ounces of water each day.
- Have snacks in your car/purse/backpack.
- Be grateful and practice mindfulness.